Get an air emissions permit

Air emissions are pollutants released into the atmosphere. They include emissions from wood stoves, forest fires, vehicles, diesel generators, land clearing, burning garbage or waste and other commercial or industrial activity.

You need an air emissions permit for:

  • Manufacturing asphalt;
  • the production and exploration of oil and natural gas;
  • quarrying, crushing and screening in excavations areas larger than 4 hectares;
  • processing or handling coal at a rate greater than 5 MBTU/hour;
  • operating equipment generating heat energy at or above 5 MBTU/hour;
  • operating incinerators or open burning solid waste in quantities greater than 5 kg per day;
  • incinerating special (hazardous) waste or contaminated soil;
  • electricity generating facilities with a capacity of 1.0 Megavolt ampere or greater;
  • using a fuel with a sulphur content higher than 1.1% for heating, generating electricity or other combustion in an industrial process; and
  • storing or handling solid, liquid or gaseous substances that may adversely affect people or the environment.

Activities requiring an air emissions permit will be subject to air quality standards. Those standards will be used to determine the acceptability of emissions from proposed and exiting projects and developments. Read the Yukon Ambient Air Quality Standards.

Apply for an air emissions permit

Complete the appropriate permit application

Submit your application

  • Email:
  • In person: at the Department of Environment office at 10 Burns Road in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
  • Mail:
    Environmental Protection and Assessment
    Government of Yukon 
    Box 2703 (V-8)
    Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6

After you get your permit

The permit may require you to monitor contaminants released to the air. Monitoring contaminants allows regulators to determine actions to reduce potential harm to the natural environment or public health.

You may have to conduct continuous monitoring and, or manual stack testing of emissions.


For questions about air emissions permits, email or phone: 867-667-5683 or toll free in Yukon: 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5683.