- About the Alsek Renewable Resources Council
- Apply to be a member of the Alsek Renewable Resources Council
- Current Members
About the Alsek Renewable Resources Council
Renewable Resources Councils are a primary instrument for local renewable resources management as set out in the Final Agreements. Each Renewable Resources Council, acting in the public interest and consistent with their Final Agreement, may make recommendations to the Minister, the affected Yukon First Nation, the Fish and Wildlife Management Board and the Salmon Sub-Committee on any matter related to conservation of fish and wildlife. Each Renewable Resources Council makes provisions for public involvement in the development of its decisions and its recommendations.
- Authority: Champagne and Aishihik First Nations (“CAFN”) Final Agreement, Chapter 16.6
- Type: advisory
- Appointment process: ministerial
- Requirements: resident within Champagne and Aishihik First Nation Traditional Territory
- Term: 3 years
- Meetings: every second and fourth Monday from October to the end of May and every second Monday of the month from June to September
- Department: Environment
- Honoraria: $125 per day
Apply to be a member of the Alsek Renewable Resources Council
Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- Brian Melanson, alternate member from June 27, 2018, to June 26, 2021
- Cameron MacKinnon, member from May 8, 2019, to May 7, 2022
- Gary Darbyshire, member from July 17, 2018 to July 16, 2020, and co-chair from June 19, 2019, to June 18, 2020
- John Caney, member from June 27, 2018, to June 26, 2021
- Kyra Chambers, alternate member from May 8, 2019, to May 7, 2022
- Lance Brown, member from May 8, 2019, to May 7, 2022
- Larry Joe, member from May 4, 2017, to March 32, 2020
- Mark Nassiopoulos, member from January 30, 2018, to March 31, 2020
For questions about the Alsek Renewable Resources Council phone 867-634-2524, or fax 867-634-2527, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 2524.