- About the Law Foundation Board of Directors (Yukon)
- Apply to be a member of the Law Foundation Board of Directors (Yukon)
- Current members
About the Law Foundation Board of Directors (Yukon)
The Board maintains and manages funds received from interest on lawyers’ trust accounts and Yukon Law Foundation investments. The Board is not a Yukon government agency but the government does appoint one or more members.
The object of the foundation are to receive money and property and to maintain and manage a fund the interest and capital of which is to be used from time to time as the Board sees fit for:
- conducting research into and recommending reform of law and the administration of justice;
- establishing, maintaining, and operating law libraries for public use;
- contributing to the legal education and knowledge of members and the people of the Yukon and providing programs and facilities therefor;
- legal aid programs and programs of like nature for the benefit of persons unable to afford the legal services they require;
- contributing to the special fund;
- contributing to the cost incurred by the society in relation to proceedings under Part 3 of the Act; and
- doing all other things that are incidental or conducive to the attainment of the objects enumerated in paragraphs (a) to (f).
- Authority: Legal Profession Act, section 80
- Type: advisory
- Appointment process: Ministerial appointment
- Requirements: no legislated criteria required to join
- Term: 2 years
- Meetings: 4 times per year
- Department: Justice
- Honoraria: none
Apply to be a member of the Law Foundation Board of Directors (Yukon)
Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- Mike Reynolds, member from August 12, 2018, to August 11, 2020
- Thomas Ullyett, member from December 18, 2018, to December 17, 2021
For questions about the Law Foundation Board of Directors (Yukon) email email@example.com or phone 867-668-4231, or fax 867-667-7556, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 4231.