- About the Teacher Qualification Board
- Apply to be a member of the Teacher Qualification Board
- Current members
About the Teacher Qualification Board
Advise and make recommendations to the Minister on any program or course of study for the upgrading of teacher qualifications and the training of teachers; review regulations and recommend changes governing types, issuance, suspension, and cancellation of teachers’ certificates by the Minister; and make recommendations to the Minister for certification of any persons whose status with respect to qualifications is referred to the Teacher Certification Board. The Board also hears appeals in its role as the certification appeal committee.
- Authority: Education Act, section 195
- Type: adjudicative
- Appointment process: ministerial
- Requirements: no legislated criteria required to join
- Term: 3 years
- Meetings: as required
- Department: Education
- Honoraria: $125 per day
Apply to be a member of the Teacher Qualification Board
Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- Dennis Darling, member from April 4, 2018, to April 3, 2021
- Mary Bedford, member from April 4, 2018, to April 3, 2021
- Assistant Deputy Minister, Public Schools Branch, chair from February 26, 2014, to indeterminate
- Coordinator, Teacher Recruitment, Department of Education, secretary from February 26, 2014, to indeterminate
For questions about the Teacher Qualification Board phone 867-456-5598, or fax 1-867-667-5435 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5598.