- About the Building Standards Board
- Apply to be a member of the Building Standards Board
- Current members
About the Building Standards Board
The Board has territory wide jurisdiction and hears appeals regarding denials or cancellations of permits or interpretations of the building code. The Board may also advise on how local products and materials may be used to construct buildings, and provide advice to the Minister on building standards and administration of the Act.
- Authority: Building Standards Act, section 6
- Type: advisory, adjudicative
- Appointment process: order in council
- Requirements: no legislated criteria required to join
- Term: indeterminate
- Meetings: as required
- Department: Community Services
- Honoraria: none
Apply to be a member of the Building Standards Board
Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- Adam Grinde, member since July 13, 2015
- Douglas Gilday, member since March 31, 1994
- Erick Oles, member since July 13, 2015
- James M. Thomas, member since November 25, 2011
- Randy Shewen, member and chair since August 28, 2015
For questions about the Building Standards Board phone 867-667-5445, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5445.