Workers' Safety and Compensation Board

  • About the Workers' Safety and Compensation Board
  • Apply to be a member of the Workers' Safety and Compensation Board
  • Current members

  1. About the Workers' Safety and Compensation Board

    The Workers' Safety and Compensation Board and the Board of Directors operate independent of government to administer workers' compensation and occupational health and safety. The Board of Directors provide governance to the Workers' Compensation Act and Occupational Health and Safety Act.

    The Board of Directors ensures:

    • provision for an open and fair system of guaranteed, adequate compensation for all workers or their dependents for work-related injuries;
    • promotion of recovery from workplace injuries through early return to work, appropriate health care and vocational rehabilitation, where required;
    • maintenance of a solvant compensation fund managed in the interest of workers and employers;
    • provision for fair assessments on employers;
    • provision for an appeal procedure that is simple, fair and accessible, with minimal delays;
    • combined efforts and resources for the prevention of workplace injuries—including the enforcement of health and safety standards; and
    • provision for workers, dependents of deceased workers and employers to be treated with compassion, respect and fairness.
    • Authority: Workers' Compensation Act, section 98
    • Type: governing
    • Appointment process: Order-In-Council
    • Requirements: members are appointed based on their education, training or experience and should be familiar with the purposes and objectives of the compensation system under the Act. Voting members can't be a Yukon government employee
    • Term: 3 years and may be reappointed for further term
    • Meetings: at least once per month
    • Department: Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board
    • Honoraria: cabinet decision 1991/06/20 and 2004/09/08


    Get information about job safety and how to file or follow up on a claim with the Workers’ Safety and Compensation Board Yukon.

  2. Apply to be a member of the Workers' Safety and Compensation Board

    Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.


    1. Complete the application.
    2. Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
    3. Submit your completed application and resume.
      In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
      Government of Yukon
      Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
      Box 2703
      Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6

    How members are selected

    Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.

    School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.

    Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:

    • Yukon Development Corporation
    • Yukon Energy Corporation
    • Yukon Workers' Safety and Compensation Board
    • Yukon Lottery Commission
    • Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
    • Yukon Arts Advisory Council
    • Yukon Utilities Board
    • Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
    • Yukon Human Rights Commission

    Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.

  3. Current members
    • Carl Schulze, member from March 30, 2023, to March 29, 2026
    • Keith Ellert, member from November 17, 2022, to November 16, 2025
    • Lisa Martin, member from April 19, 2023, to April 18, 2026
    • Mark Pike, chair from March 30, 2023, to March 29, 2026
    • Vicki Hancock, member from January 12, 2022, to January 11, 2025
    • Warren Mpofu, member from April 18, 2024 to April 17, 2027


For questions about the Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board email or phone 867-667-5645, or toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0443, fax 867-393-6279.