- About the Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal
- Apply to be a member of the Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal
- Current members
About the Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal
The Tribunal is a quasi-judicial body authorized to hear final level appeals from both workers and employers on compensation claim matters. The Tribunal operates independently from the Yukon government and the Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board.
- Authority: Workers' Compensation Act, section 62(1)
- Type: adjudicative
- Appointment process: Order-In-Council
- Requirements: members can't be a member of the Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board or the board of directors at the same time.
- Meetings: as required
- Department: Workers’ Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Honoraria: $200 per day
Apply to be a member of the Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal
Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- Brian Edelman, member from April 28, 2017, to April 27, 2020
- David Anderson, member from March 27, 2018, to March 26, 2021
- Derek Yap, member from March 21, 2018, to March 20, 2021
- Michael Riseborough, ember and chair from April 1, 2018, to March 31, 2021
- R. Stuart Mackay, alternate member from December 19, 2018, to December 18, 2021
- Wayne Huffman, member from November 21, 2019 to November 20, 2022
For questions about the Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 867-667-8731, or fax 867-393-7030, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 8731.