- About the Utilities Board (Yukon)
- Apply to be a member
- Current members
About the Utilities Board (Yukon)
The Utilities Board:
- sets rates of a public utility;
- prohibits or limits any proposed rate change;
- sets proper and adequate rates and methods of depreciation, amortization, or depletion in respect of the property of any public utility;
- sets just and reasonable standards, classifications, regulations, practices, measurements or services to be observed, provided or followed by a public utility;
- determines the areas to which a public utility shall provide service and requiring the public utility to establish, construct, maintain and operate any reasonable expansion of its existing services; and
- determines the conditions that may be imposed by a public utility to establish, construct, maintain or operate an expansion of its existing services.
- Authority: Public Utilities Act, section 2
- Type: regulatory
- Appointment process: ministerial
- Requirements: no legislated criteria required to join
- Term: 3 years and may be reappointed for further term
- Meetings: at least 2 times per year
- Department: Justice
- Honoraria: OIC 2022/211 – chair up to $900 per day; board members up to $600 per day
Apply to be a member
Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- Andre Fortin, member from May 2, 2021, to May 1, 2024
- Bonnie (Catherine) King, member and vice-chair from February 12, 2021, to February 11, 2024
- Lesley McCullough, member from September 16, 2021, vice-chair from July 27, 2023, to September 15, 2024
- Mel Johnson, member from May 4, 2023, to May 3, 2026
- Richard Buchan, member and chair from February 10, 2021, to February 9, 2024
For questions about the Utilities Board (Yukon) email email@example.com or phone 867-667-5058, or fax 867-667-5059.