- About the Driver Control Board
- Apply to be a member of the Driver Control Board
- Current Members
About the Driver Control Board
The purpose of the Board is to carry out an adjudicative role in determining if an individual may hold a driver's licence. Individuals may be referred to the Board by a judge or the Registrar of Motor Vehicles. The Board also acts as an independent appeal board for drivers who have been refused a licence or whose licence has been suspended by the Registrar of Motor Vehicles. The Board has the power to invoke an indefinite driver's licence suspension or prescribe any measure or course of remedial education or treatment. The Board's decisions may only be overruled on subsequent appeal to the Board or by a court judge.
- Authority: Motor Vehicles Act, section 24
- Type: adjudicative
- Appointment process: order in council
- Requirements: no legislated requirements required to join
- Term: 3 years
- Meetings: two consecutive evenings each month
- Department: Highways and Public Works
- Honoraria: $200 per day
Apply to be a member of the Driver Control Board
Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- Deanna Thick, member from September 21, 2017, to September 20, 2020
- Helmer Hermanson, member from October 6, 2017, to October 5, 2020
- Richard Reaume, member from June 22, 2018, to June 21, 2021
- Sandra Secord, chair from August 21, 2019, to August 20, 2019
- Tom Fairman, August 21, 2019, to August 20, 2019
For questions about the Driver Control Board phone 867-667-5623, or fax 867-393-6963, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5623.