- About the Legal Services Society (Yukon)
- Apply to be a member of the Legal Services Society (Yukon)
- Current members
About the Legal Services Society (Yukon)
The Board hears appeals of applicants who have been denied legal aid and makes a final decision with respect to the appellant’s application. The Board also oversees the finances of the society. The society is an independent, non-profit organization that provides legal help for people in the Yukon. The Society is not a government agency, organization, or department.
- Authority: Legal Services Society Act, section 2
- Type: Governing; adjudicative
- Appointment process: ministerial
- Requirements: no legislated criteria required to join
- Term: 3 years and eligible for reappointment
- Meetings: third Thursday of each month for 2 to 3 hours
- Department: Justice
- Honoraria: $125 per day
Apply to be a member of the Legal Services Society (Yukon)
Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- Gina Nagano, member from August 28, 2019 to Agust 27, 2022
- Katherine Mercier, member from December 7, 2017, to December 6, 2020
- Megan Whittle, member from August 28, 2019 to Agust 27, 2022
- Meagan Hannam, member from January 17, 2019, to January 16, 2022
- Michael Risenborough, member from March 28, 2019, to March 22, 2022
- Tess Lawrence, member from August 28, 2019 to Agust 27, 2022
For questions about the Legal Services Society (Yukon) email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 867-667-5210, or fax 867-667-8649.