- About the Law Society of Yukon (Executive)
- Apply to be a member of the Law Society of Yukon (Executive)
- Current members
About the Law Society of Yukon (Executive)
The affairs of the Law Society of Yukon are managed and conducted by the Executive. The Law Society of Yukon (the “Society”) serves and protects the public interest in the administration of justice by ensuring the independence, integrity and honour of its members and establishing standards for the education, professional responsibility and competence of its members. The Society is not a Yukon government agency; however, the Yukon government appoints members to the Executive.
- Authority: Legal Profession Act, section 4
- Type: regulatory
- Appointment process: order in council
- Requirements: except for the two public representative appointments, a person is not eligible unless they are an active member of the Society resident in the Yukon
- Term: 2 years
- Meetings: 18 times per year
- Department: Justice
- Honoraria: none
Apply to be a member of the Law Society of Yukon (Executive)
Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- Chris Butler, member from March 28, 2019, to March 27, 2021
- Georgina (Gina) Nagano, member from June 22, 2017, to June 21, 2019
For questions about the Land Use Planning Council (Yukon) email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 867-668-4231, or fax 867-667-7556 or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 4231.