- About the Hearing Adjudicators under Corrections Act
- Apply to be a member
- Current members
About the Hearing Adjudicators under Corrections Act
Hearing Adjudicators preside over disciplinary hearings for the purpose of reviewing breaches of the Corrections Regulation or the rules of Whitehorse Correctional Centre and determines the appropriate penalties or corrective measures.
- Authority: Corrections Act, 2009: section 26
- Type: adjudicative
- Appointment process: ministerial order
- Requirements: members cannot be employees of the Whitehorse Correctional Centre and all members will be asked to complete a criminal records check for purposes of accessing the Correctional Centre
- Term: up to 5 years
- Meetings: adjudicators work on rotational schedule; typically 1x/month
- Department: Justice
- $125 for up to 1.5 hours
- $250 for half a day (1.5 to 3.5 hours)
- $450 for full day (3.5 to 7.5 hours)
Apply to be a member
Any resident of the Yukon is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- Elaine Shorty, member from May 19, 2022 to May 18, 2025
- Jeffery Wong, member from May 19, 2022 to May 18, 2025
- Kim Corothers member from May 19, 2022 to May 18, 2025
- Nina Bolton, member from March 23, 2022 to March 22, 2025
- Thomas Wyers, member from May 19, 2022 to May 18, 2025
- Victoria Wing Chi Chan, member from February 22, 2022 to February 21, 2025
For questions about the Hearing Adjudicators, phone 867-667-5959, or toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408 ext 5959.