- About the Yukon University Board of Governors
- Apply to be a member
- Current members
About the Yukon University Board of Governors
Yukon University is Canada's newest University and the first University in the country north of 60. Guided by the 2022-2027 strategic plan: Becoming, Yukon University will become a thriving learning and research community leading Canada's North. The Yukon University Board of Governors, established by the Yukon University Act will play a leadership role in realizing this exciting vision.
Yukon University’s Board of Governors has a number of responsibilities related to the administration and management of the university. This includes such responsibilities as setting enrolment levels, managing the university’s budget and establishing faculties within the university. The powers of the board are set out in section 22 of the Yukon University Act.
- Authority: Yukon University Act, Part 5
- Type: governing
- About: University Board of Governors (Yukon)
Members of the board appointed by the Commissioner in Executive Council (Act, section 13(1)(c))
- Number of persons appointed by the Commissioner in Executive Council - 10:
- at least 3 of whom must be appointed from among persons nominated by at least 1 Yukon First Nation, and
- at least 3 of whom must reside outside Whitehorse, each in a different community.
- Appointment process: Order-in-Council
- Department: Education
- Requirements: There is no legislated criteria required to join. The following persons are not eligible to be members of the board, as per the Yukon University Act:
- member of the Parliament of Canada;
- a member of the Legislative Assembly;
- a member of the main governing council of a Yukon First Nation established under the constitution of the Yukon First Nation;
- a member of the council of a Yukon First Nation that is a band recognized under the Indian Act (Canada); or
- a member of a council of a municipality.
There are other Board members who are members ex-officio or elected by members of their constituency within Yukon University or elected by the Board.
- Term: not to exceed 3 years; may be reappointed but must not hold office for more than 3 consecutive terms of office.
- Meetings: as required (currently - 4 times a year)
- Honoraria: OIC 2020/31
Apply to be a member
Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
Members appointed by the Commissioner in Executive Council (10):
- Brenda Butterworth-Carr, member from September 7, 2023, to September 6, 2026
- Carol Geddes, member from December 19, 2021, to December 18, 2024
- David Morrison, chair and member from February 8, 2023, to February 7, 2026
- Kathleen Van Bibber, member from May 27, 2021, to May 26, 2024
- Tom Ullyett, member from February 8, 2023, to February 7, 2026
- Vera Holmes, member from May 27, 2021 to May 26, 2024
Other Members (ex-officio or elected):
- Faculty member (not yet elected)
- Student member (not yet elected)
- President of Yukon University, indeterminate – Lesley A. Brown
- Chancellor of Yukon University, from March 30, 2023, to September 22, 2024 – James Allen
- Senate member – Joel Cubley
- General Member – Jason Bilsky
- Employee Member – Jennifer Harkes
For questions about the Yukon University Board of Governors phone 867-668-8800, or toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 8800.