- About the Yukon University Board of Governors
- Apply to be a member of the Yukon University Board of Governors
- Current members
About the Yukon University Board of Governors
The Yukon University Act establishes the Yukon University Board of Governors. The Yukon University Act replaced the Yukon College Act in February 2020.
Yukon University’s Board of Governors has a number of responsibilities related to the administration and management of the university. This includes such responsibilities as setting enrolment levels, managing the university’s budget and establishing faculties within the university. The powers of the board are set out in section 22 of the Yukon University Act.
- Authority: Yukon University Act, Part 5
- Type: governing
- Appointment process: Order-In-Council
- Requirements: There is no legislated criteria required to join. The following persons are not eligible to be members of the board, as per the Yukon University Act:
- member of the Parliament of Canada;
- a member of the Legislative Assembly;
- a member of the main governing council of a Yukon First Nation established under the constitution of the Yukon First Nation;
- a member of the council of a Yukon First Nation that is a band recognized under the Indian Act (Canada); or
- a member of a council of a municipality.
- Term: not to exceed 3 years but may be reappointed for a further term; student representatives serve for a 1-year term.
- Meetings: as required
- Department: Education
- Honoraria: OIC 2020/31
- Board members other than the chair are entitled to $100 for each half day or $200 for each full day when performing duties as a member of the board.
- The board chair is entitled to $125 for each half day or $250 for each full day when performing duties as chair or a member of the board.
- The vice-chair of the board is entitled to $125 for each half day or $250 for each full day when performing duties as vice-chair or a member of the board.
Apply to be a member of the Yukon University Board of Governors
Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- Carol Geddes, member from December 19, 2018, to December 18, 2021
- Christine Mahar, member from October 1, 2020 to September 30, 2023
- Christopher Milner, member from June 23, 2020 to June 22, 2023
- David Morrison, Board Chair, member from February 6, 2020 to February 5, 2023
- Jocelyn Curteanu, member from June 12, 2018 to June 11, 2021
- John Burdek, member from May 1, 2018 to April 30, 2021
- Judy Gingell, member from October 1, 2020 to September 30, 2023
- Jun Hyeok (Eric) Kim, member from January 18, 2018 to January 17, 2021
- Kathleen Van Bibber, member from September 11, 2019 to May 1, 2021
- Mark Wedge, member from October 1, 2020 to September 30, 2023
- Pearl Callaghan, member from October 1, 2020 to September 30, 2023
- Tom Ullyett, member from February 6, 2020 to February 5, 2023
- Vera Holmes, member from May 6, 2018 to May 5, 2021
- Faculty member (not yet elected)
- Student member (not yet elected)
- President of Yukon University, indeterminate
- Chancellor of Yukon University, indeterminate
- Senate member
- General Member
- Employee Member
For questions about the Yukon University Board of Governors phone 867-668-8800, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 8800.