- About the Assessment Appeal Board
- Apply to be a member of the Assessment Appeal Board
- Current Members
About the Assessment Appeal Board
The Board is a quasi-judicial board that hears and adjudicates on property assessment challenges respecting land and improvements. Decisions of the Board with respect to points of law may be appealed to the Supreme Court.The Board has original jurisdiction to investigate and adjudicate on assessments, classes of assessments and assessment rolls to ensure that the assessments and assessment rolls are equitable and that they represent fairly the assessment values provided for by the Act.
- Authority: Assessment and Taxation Act, section 34
- Type: adjudicative
- Appointment process: order in council
- Requirements: take and subscribe any oath or affirmation of office that is prescribed
- Term: not to exceed 3 years but may be reappointed for a further term
- Meetings: at least 4 times per year
- Department: Community Services
- Honoraria: $125 per day
Apply to be a member of the Assessment Appeal Board
Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- Fiona Charbonneau, member from May 1, 2017, to April 30, 2020
- Leo Chasse, vice-chair and member from May 1, 2017, to April 30, 2020
- Walter Brennan, chair and member from May 1, 2017, to April 30, 2020
For questions about the Assessment Appeal Board phone 867-667-5268, or fax 867-667-8276, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5268.