- About the Capability and Consent Board
- Apply to be a member of the Capability and Consent Board
- Current Members
About the Capability and Consent Board
The Board provides a forum for reviewing the decisions of care providers and substitute decision-makers, and for providing direction to substitute decision-makers, to ensure that:
the rights of care recipients are respected;
as required by other provisions of the Act, careful consideration is given to the wishes, beliefs and values, or best interests of care recipients; and
relatives and friends of the care recipient, and care providers, have an opportunity to be heard.
- Authority: Care Consent Act, Schedule B, Part 3, section 53, Care Consent Act Regulations, section 17
- Type: advisory
- Appointment process: order in council
- Requirements: The Commissioner in Executive Council will appoint members to ensure: males and females are equally represented, representation of Yukon's cultural diversity, inclusion of people with knowledge or experience of people with intellectual disabilities, mental illnesses, physical disabilities, people with brain injuries, or diseases of aging or other degenerative illnesses that can lead to mental incapability.
- Term: member from the Francophone community at large is appointed a 3 year term and all other members are appointed for indeterminate terms
- Meetings: 1 to 4 times per month
- Department: Health and Social Services
- Honoraria: OIC 2005/80 and OIC 2012/80
Apply to be a member of the Capability and Consent Board
Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- Amy Ryder, member from November 10, 2017, to November 9, 2020
- Annette Sinclair, member from November 10, 2017, to November 9, 2020
- Ariana Warner, member from November 10, 2017, to November 9, 2020
- Benjamin Warnsby, alternate member from November 10, 2017, to November 9, 2020
- Carmen Gustafson, alternate member from October 25, 2018, to October 25, 2021
- Darcy Tkachuk, vice-chair and member from July 3, 2019, to May 1, 2022
- Dr. Ken Quong, member from November 10, 2017 to November 9, 2020
- Dr. Ngozi Ikeji, member from July 3, 2019, to May 1, 2022
- Eric Stevenson, alternate member from October 25, 2018, to October 24, 2021
- James Tucker, chair and member from July 3, 2019, to May 1, 2022
- Paul Battin, member from July 3, 2019, to May 1, 2022
- Reagan Gale, member from July 3, 2019, to May 1, 2022
- Susan Mooney, member from November 10, 2017 to November 9, 2020
For questions about the Capability and Consent Board phone 867-667-7614, or fax 867-633-6954, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 7614.