- About the Capability and Consent Board
- Apply to be a member
- Current Members
About the Capability and Consent Board
The Board provides a forum for reviewing the decisions of care providers and substitute decision-makers, and for providing direction to substitute decision-makers, to ensure that:
the rights of care recipients are respected;
as required by other provisions of the Act, careful consideration is given to the wishes, beliefs and values, or best interests of care recipients; and
relatives and friends of the care recipient, and care providers, have an opportunity to be heard.
- Authority: Care Consent Act, Schedule B, Part 3, section 53, Care Consent Act Regulations, section 17
- Type: advisory
- Appointment process: Order-In-Council
- Requirements: The Commissioner in Executive Council will appoint members to ensure: males and females are equally represented, representation of Yukon's cultural diversity, inclusion of people with knowledge or experience of people with intellectual disabilities, mental illnesses, physical disabilities, people with brain injuries, or diseases of aging or other degenerative illnesses that can lead to mental incapability.
- Term: maximum 3 year term
- Meetings: 1 to 4 times per month
- Department: Health and Social Services
- Honoraria: OIC 2005/80 and OIC 2012/80
Apply to be a member
Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- Ariana Warner, member from February 25, 2021, to February 24, 2024
- Dr. Ken Quong, member from February 11, 2021, to February 10, 2024
- Dr. Ngozi Ikeji, member from May 2, 2022, to May 1, 2025
- Dr. Philip Urness, member from November 10, 2021, to November 9, 2024
- Eric Stevenson, member from October 28, 2021, to October 27, 2024
- James Tucker, member and chair from May 2, 2022, to May 1, 2025
- Michelle Chan, member and vice-chair from May 2, 2022, to May 1, 2025
- Susan Mooney, member from February 25, 2021, to February 24, 2024
- Vicki Hancock, member from May 2, 2022, to May 1, 2025
For questions about the Capability and Consent Board phone 867-633-7614, or fax 867-633-6954, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 7614.