- About the Water Board (Yukon)
- Apply to be a member
- Current members
About the Water Board (Yukon)
To provide for the conservation, development and use of waters for the benefit of all Canadians and for the residents of the Yukon in particular. We achieve this by issuing licences for the use of water and the deposit of waste.
- Authority: Waters Act, section 8, Umbrella Final Agreement, Chapter 14.4.0
- Type: regulatory
- Appointment process: Order-In-Council
- Requirements: no legislated criteria required to join
- Term: 3 years
- Meetings: once a month
- Department: Executive Council Office
- Honoraria: Cabinet decision on February 28, 2018
Apply to be a member
Any resident of the Yukon is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- Anne Leckie, member from May 5, 2023, to May 4, 2026
- Benjamin Bruce Warnsby, member from November 17, 2022, to November 10, 2025
- Carl Sidney, member from April 20, 2023, to April 19, 2026
- Piers McDonald, chair and member from December 11, 2021, to December 10, 2024
- Robert McIntyre, member from April 1, 2021, to September 30, 2023 (reappointed October 1, 2023, to September 30, 2025)
- Russel Smoler, member from February 27, 2022, to February 26, 2025
- Sam Wallingham, member from February 1, 2023, to January 31, 2026
- Barrett Wesley, member from April 20, 2023, to April 19, 2026
For questions about the Water Board (Yukon) phone 867-456-3980 or fax 867-456-3980 or toll free in the Yukon 1-800-661-0408, extension 3980.