- About the Social Assistance Review Committee
- Apply to be a member of the Social Assistance Review Committee
- Current members
About the Social Assistance Review Committee
Social assistance recipients or those applying for assistance have the right to ask for a review of any decision made by a social worker regarding assistance. Review hearings are held by the Social Assistance Review Committee. Individuals have the right to ask for a review of:
- their eligibility for assistance; and
- the amount of assistance provided.
The role of the Committee under the Act is to reassure applicants that their applications for assistance receive impartial consideration and that the Committee’s resulting decisions as to eligibility and amount are based on reasonable findings of fact; and result from a reasonable application of the regulations to those findings of fact. The Committee has authority with respect only to assistance and does not have authority with respect to any other aid or welfare services that may be provided to a person under the Act or otherwise.
- Authority: Social Assistance Act, section 9
- Type: adjudicative
- Appointment process: ministerial
- Requirements: males and females should be fairly represented; Yukon's cultural diversity should be represented; and people with knowledge of or experience in need of assistance
- Term: 3 years and may be reappointed for further term
- Meetings: as required
- Department: Health and Social Services
- Honoraria: OIC 2009/209
Apply to be a member of the Social Assistance Review Committee
Any Yukon resident is eligible to apply to serve on a government board or committee.
- Complete the application.
- Prepare a brief resume. This should include information relevant for sitting on the board or committee.
- Submit your completed application and resume.
In person: Inquiry Desk at 2071 Second Avenue in Whitehorse. We are open Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Address your envelope "Attention: Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)"
Government of Yukon
Boards and Committees Secretariat (CM-1)
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2C6
How members are selected
Members are appointed by a Minister, Cabinet or the Legislative Assembly.
School board and school council members can be elected or, in some cases, appointed.
Appointments to these boards are based on standing committee recommendations:
- Yukon Development Corporation
- Yukon Energy Corporation
- Yukon Workers' Compensation Health and Safety Board
- Yukon Lottery Commission
- Yukon Recreation Advisory Committee
- Yukon Arts Advisory Council
- Yukon Utilities Board
- Yukon Council on the Economy and the Environment
- Yukon Human Rights Commission
Some boards and committees members are required to hold certain professional qualifications or affiliations.
- Ginny MacDonald, member from September 18, 2018, to September 17, 2021
- Michael Simpson, member from August 31, 2017, to August 29, 2020
- Mieke Leonard, member from June 17, 2016, to June 16, 2019
- Paul Gray, member and vice-chair from June 17, 2016, to June 16, 2019
- Sandra Journeaux Henderson, member from September 6, 2017, to September 5, 2020
- Tammie O'Connor, member from June 17, 2016, to June 16, 2019
For questions about the Social Assistance Review Committee phone 867-667-5669, or fax 867-667-5819, or toll free in Yukon 1-800-661-0408, ext. 5669.